Saturday, April 16, 2011

Treasures

What do you treasure most?  How do you care for your treasures?



My family is my greatest treasure.  From the time I was a little girl, I dreamed of having a family.  I drew picture after picture of my little children living in interesting mountain, island, city and country locations.  I named the "children" and created a myriad of adventures for my imaginary families.  I also enjoyed reading books about families.  My favorite childhood books included A Sundae for Judy, Children of Noisy Village, Jubilee and Mrs. Mike.

Later, as a preteen, when caring for my little brothers, I'd pretend that I was the mom and they were my children.  I'd take them on walks, create games, read to them and, to their chagrin, regularly play school in the the basement of our little green house.  I felt a kind of magic when I was with children, a sense of peace and creativity.

As a teen, and in early adulthood, I wanted nothing more than to be a wife and mother. I was hoping to marry a man who would be a great dad.  That was so important to me.  Serendipitously, I met that man. We married, and went on to have three sons.  Parenting those boys has been both joyous and challenging.  Like parents everywhere, I want the best for my sons.  I also want my sons to live their life, be who they are and follow their dreams.  I support my boys' energy, drive and desires, while also guiding their direction towards peace, love and strength.  I marvel at their unique gifts and talents, and anguish when they meet struggles, big and small.  I wish I could be all things for them, but I know I can't. Like them, I'm only human; I can strive to be the best, but I'll never be all things.

So that's how I take care of my treasures.  I guide and support.  I marvel and anguish.  I love those shining stars to the best of my ability.  Now, after many weeks of passionate, driven work in the ed-tech evolution, it's time to polish that treasure box and enjoy the treasures within.