Thursday, March 01, 2012

Challenge!

I'm challenging myself.

I always challenge students. I encourage, support, mentor and guide.

I often take on small challenges that fall within my competency range, challenges I'm fairly sure I can accomplish without too much sacrifice or failure.  I guess we can call those "safe challenges."

Right now I'm going to take on a challenge outside of my competency range, instead it's a challenge in my struggle sphere.  I'm going to blog about this challenge from a learner's point of view and look for parallels to the challenges my students face when they try to conquer a skill set outside of their competency range.

I'll start with thinking about challenge in general?  What's the best way to approach a challenge?  How does one face and conquer a challenge?  What does this activity look like and feel like?

If you'd like to join me on this journey, please do.  No need to share the specifics as I'm not planning to do that--it's too sensitive and scary, and the potential for failure is HUGE!  This is what many of our students face as they embark on frightening, daunting challenges, and we need to be sensitive to this.