Sunday, October 14, 2012

Stick to the Important Work?

Sometimes when I lament the lack of time to do my work well, some leaders will insinuate that I should stick to the important work and let them make the decisions.  That means stick to work of following curriculum programs, correcting papers, cleaning the classroom, answering emails and responding to mandates--all aspects of my job that I do, but not the aspects of my job that keep the fire of creativity, passion, and student care burning.

It's true that I would probably have enough time to do all the pieces of my job if I went through the motions like a robot. Many programs, routines, and events are written like recipes for teachers as if both teachers and students are robotic without emotion, passion, vision, and humanity.  These programs apply some learning research, but the creators forget about the wonderful synergy possible when educational endeavors are executed with humanity, heart, and care.

Hence, even if it means that I have to squeeze professional development endeavors and creative, responsive learning design into weekends, wee hours of the morning, and late evening time, I'll do it because teaching like a robot is dull, dry, and ineffective whereas teaching with passion, care, humanity, intelligence, and heart is what I love about the job.  Don't you agree?