Monday, August 04, 2014

Seeing Math

I like a big, deep goal to start the year with.

I like a goal that challenges me and keeps me thinking.

I have lots of tiny goals, but I'm thinking of one umbrella goal--the kind that spurs you forward with good work, work that is welcome by all in your midst.

After talking with a talented colleague this morning, I think that goal will be "Seeing Math." Yes, I want students to see math. When they hear a number they immediately see many variations of that number in images, 2D and 3D.

This will fit nicely with the emphasis on model making and problem solving.

How do you "see math," and what ways do you manipulate those images to solve problems, identify patterns, and estimate guesses.

How would you define "seeing math?" In what ways do you develop this visual literacy in students? What are the benefits? I want to think more about this and I welcome your ideas.