Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Teacher as Researcher: Developing Practice by Reading Mathematical Mindsets

Introduction
I picked up Jo Boaler's book, Mathematical Mindsets, and began reading. Right away I realized that this is a book that is going to forever impact the way I think about and teach math. I was struck with that sense of humility right away that says, You have a lot to learn!  

Reading books by educators who use brain knowledge and research to forward the way we teach is the way to go these days as we think about teaching and learning. These books have a lot to teach us as educators because so much of what we do day to day is rooted in practice and information that is not supported by brain study and knowledge. Systems and educators who understand this will not be satisfied with teaching and learning that is limiting or limited. Instead we will advocate for the time and support to learn more and implement that good learning in our daily practice and share.

As I think of Boaler's book, I realize that I am lucky to have the chance to work with children everyday so that I can readily impart this new learning and study into their daily learning. I will read the book with the overarching question, How will this book impact my teaching everyday so that all children learn in ways that are engaging and empowering?

I've invited my colleagues in my school system who are interested in discussing the book to join me on Monday, March 14th from 3:30 to 5:00 to discuss the book. I'll provide the refreshments. Then during the next week, +Rik Rowe and +David Hochheiser have kindly agreed to devote the #edchatma Twitter discussion on Tuesday, March 22 from 8pm to 9pm to a discussion about the book. The book's author, Jo Boaler, plans to join us for the chat so it should be terrific. All interested educators, family members, math enthusiasts, and students and of math education are welcome to participate in the chat that evening.