Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Let Your Questions Lead You

Similar to food, there are few ideas or knowledge areas that don't interest me. I'm a fairly curious individual who thinks of learning as a sport. Yet too many tangents leads to dissatisfaction, hence I'm always working to right the road and prioritize well. This morning as I worked on a questions that I'm very interested in, it occurred to me that one of the best ways to prioritize is to let your questions lead you. It was one of those simplistic, but very important, revelations that has finally rooted itself in my mind and effort in a way that makes sense.

So as we think of our main questions, which questions take priority, and why are those questions important to you.

For me, I really love to teach in ways that inspire, motivate, and develop the learning team. I always work towards those classroom moments when everyone is engaged with enthusiasm, care, and creativity--true learning moments. To reach these moments requires terrific teaching, and terrific teaching is the goal I seek, a goal that I'll achieve by following Dorothy Day's quote, "People say, 'What is the sense of our small effort?' They cannot see that we must lay one brick at a time, take one step at a time."

With Day's wise words urging me forward, these are the questions that will lead me forward towards terrific teaching?
  • What is most important to know with regard to teaching and learning mathematics?
  • What are the best ways to teach in order to develop students' sense of confidence, growth mindset, learning-to-learn habitudes, and a strong knowledge, concept, and skill foundation?
  • How can I continue to promote and model the qualities of good character and social competency with and for students?
  • How can I work with my collegial team to develop STEAM efforts with and for students that matter? 
These questions will lead me in the days ahead.