Sunday, February 19, 2017

Education Career: Ten Years from Now

I'm a big fan of the ten-year view. I believe that looking long helps one to decide well for the day.

So as you think about your career in education, what is your ten year view? Where are you now and where do you want to be in ten years?

As I look at my career, I imagine that my day-to-day work with students at school and with students and children elsewhere will become deeper and more sensitive as I reach in, become more detailed, and serve the children in my midst with greater care, knowledge, and understanding.

On the other hand, I expect that my reading, writing, and research will become broader and richer as I strive to learn about this big and wonderful world around us and use that knowledge to do good work with my own children, students, relatives, and other children I may write for, teach, tutor, and serve.

What does this vision look like in real time.

Teacher "Grandmother"
I will continue to teach for the larger part of the next ten years. In some ways I envision myself to be a teacher grandmother during these years since I want to reach in and give more to the young children in my midst. I hope to be a loving, caring, thoughtful, and dedicated mentor, coach, educator, and guide during these years.

I hope that my classroom will be a warm, welcoming environment, one in which children receive the love, care, and guidance they need and desire to learn, be inspired, and go forward with good skill/concept/knowledge, optimism, and strength.

As teacher grandmother with colleagues, I hope to learn from the young, bright colleagues that surround me, and in that way, keep up to date with what students and families need. I also hope to be there for my colleagues to support in any way that I can.

Reader, Writer, Researcher
I truly enjoy collecting, analyzing, synthesizing and reporting on facts, ideas, and information. I imagine that this work will grow in the next ten years as I stand up and speak up for what is right and good. I want to remain open minded to new ideas, potential, and events as I do this work. I believe that my unique position in this regard is to take information from many venues and translate that information into easy to read and understand information. Too often the information from those in the know is difficult for the masses to make sense of or understand given time, access,and interest. I want to bring the thoughts of the best and brightest around us to light for people young and old. This will require me to read and decipher the thick texts, and then to simplify the language into easily digestible posts, poems, children's books, and more. I want to help get the powerful ideas of so many wonderful thinkers, doers, and futurists into the open world. I'm excited about this work and will continue to learn about this dream as I move forward.

Loving Family Member
I want to reach to do more for the family I love. What we can do with and for each other is limitless, and the key is to find ways we can empower and love one another in ways that matter the most. Loving family members begins with having a simple, welcoming home where your children and loved ones are always welcome. After that it means being there for them when they need you, and being there to provide comfort and celebrate too when it's time.

Simplicity
I desire as much simplicity with all things material as possible in the days ahead. I want to do this in order to carve out more time for the goals above.

I welcome your wisdom as I outline the years ahead. It's hard to know where life will take one, but having a loose-tight framework to lean on helps.