Saturday, February 25, 2017

The Challenge of Deep Work

Like many, I gravitate towards the quick fix. I like to think about a topic, make a decision, and then act. Yet, the kind of work I'm called to do at this juncture in my career takes a bit more time, research, and thought. It won't be as quick as other work I've done. Instead it will be work that requires greater self discipline, study, and patience too.

As I push myself forward in this regard, I know it's important both for my growth and for my work with children because I will become more cognizant of the kind of learning we ask students to reach for. I will know what it feels like to be in the thick of it as you try to learn something new and something that's not so easy for you to learn. That experience builds empathy, compassion, and the ability to coach and mentor my students better.

I enjoy a good challenge and this reach will provide that greater challenge for me in the days ahead. Onward.