Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The Value of Transparency

As I prepare for a meeting with our new superintendent, I reached out to colleagues for ideas. I know that I don't have all the answers, but I believe the more that information, advocacy, and ideas are transparent, the better they will grow and develop in ways that matter to the children we teach.

When secrecy dominates, capacity wanes.

Transparency with regard to almost all information is advantageous to the people and organizations we commit our time and energy to.

In some cases, transparency will mean change, and that change will demand that educators re-look at process and structure related to transparency, structures such as idea-share systems, response to questions, inclusive teams for decision making, democratic processes for decision making/committee creation, and more.

How do systems become more inclusive and transparent, and why does that matter? is a question I'll be thinking about in the days ahead.