Tuesday, August 29, 2017

First Day of School 2017-2018: Teach Smart


I had a great dinner with a colleague tonight, and essentially the conversation was about how to teach smart in 2017-2018.

To teach smart this year means the following:

  • Focus on the identified target goals of math, STEAM, and SEL 
  • Problem solve and collaborate with the team to serve all students well.
  • Establish and stick to a positive work/home routine.
Tomorrow I'll listen carefully to system- and school-wide goals, and integrate those goals into our grade-level efforts.

Then I'll follow the plan to set up the classroom. Hopefully my teenage son will stop by to do some of the heavy lifting. 

The next day we'll meet some of our new students, and I'll ready for the students' first day of school. Not unlike when I was a young student, I still get very excited about the first day of school and the surprises, positive challenges, and wonderful moments the year will bring. Onward.