Monday, October 09, 2017

Objectification of Women

The objectification of women has been a long held practice all over the world. Older women like me hardly recognize it since it was a full part of our upbringing. It was common speak to objectify women.

I remember comments made to me from the earliest age that clearly sent the message that what was important about me had to do with my physicality and little else. It was a painful and hurtful reality, yet a reality generally accepted throughout the culture.

I remember that a wiser friend who was older than me and better educated a long time ago tried to make me see the objectification that was happening in a place of employment. I was worried I would hurt feelings or lose my job, so I ignored her wisdom. She quit the job.

I wonder about the impact of this objectification and how it continues today. I remember walking to the dining hall in college and passing college men who held signs with numbers on them rating us. It was hurtful.

Yet I find myself also somewhat empathetic to men who grew up in that culture and didn't learn better, but are paying the price for their discriminatory and sexualized speak today. Do they know how hurtful that is? Do they realize how wrong what they say is? Most women, I'm sure, would say that to feel this way is to be way too kind.

I'm proud of the women who are speaking up and standing up to the objectification and harassment they faced long ago and still today. They are paving a better road ahead for men and women, and the positive relationships we can enjoy as friends and more.

As a teacher of young girls and boys, I want to be clear that all children deserve respect, and all children deserve to be treated as the wonderful unique people that they are. Instead of prejudice and name calling, it's our aim to get to know one another and value each others similarities and differences. I'm happy to see sexual objectification diminish in our society. I honor those who are fighting this cause.