Monday, November 27, 2017

What's Your Place With Regard to the Big Picture

I like using the big picture to guide my teaching/learning work, yet at this time, this year, I'm focusing in on the details of my teaching/learning work. I am wholly focused on the specific goals of community building, promoting positive learning-to-learning skills/attitudes, math education, STEAM, team, and cultural proficiency. That doesn't leave a lot of time for big picture think and action. The good news here is that many colleagues are focused on those big picture events, and it seems like streams of communication, advocacy, and teamwork are becoming more fluid, transparent, and powerful in the system where I work--this is good news, the kind of news that allows a teacher like me to take part in the big picture efforts, while also having the time and support to do my work in the classroom well.

As I think of the big picture, I'm happy that our superintendent is focused on the goal of listening to all stakeholders with regard to creating a vision for the school system. I'm similarly happy that our union president and so many union members are thinking deeply about the work that needs to be done to empower our school system in terms of optimal work conditions so that we may serve students and their families well. Further there are multiple teams and committees working in earnest to better all aspects of our collective and individual work including our practice related to specific disciplines, cultural proficiency, social-emotional learning, health/wellness, and the arts and culture. There is a vibrancy here that's inspiring.

Further, notes of advocacy seem to be more readily read and accepted than challenged and criticized--this is also a positive move. Some still don't respond to letters advocating for better and different, but more do respond, and this is good.

So as I move forward, I'll continue to advocate and support fluid streams of communication share, positive debate, and research-based practice and effort. I hope that colleagues will continue to and increase their share of their professional learning and pursuits. I hope that administrators will continue to build their practice of sharing the news and information related to our individual and collective work while also inviting the voices of all stakeholders to honest debate and discussion related to those efforts, and I hope those voices are taken seriously and considered with depth since we know that the voices and ideas of those on the front lines of teaching and learning are vital to a system's strength and development. Further, I hope that our system will continue to reach beyond our boundaries to learn about, advocate for, and participate in efforts to better education for all, everywhere.

It's always important to entertain the dance from big picture to individual/focused practice, and as we dance that dance, it's essential that we support one another in ways that help us to stay the course towards best possible practice and service to students, colleagues, and families.