Saturday, February 10, 2018

Finding the Sweet Spot

As I talked to a large number of friends and colleagues in the last few weeks, I was reminded that finding the "sweet spot" is finding a place where you do your best, feel great, and work/play well with others.

We all have to be on the lookout for that and help one another find those activities, places, and efforts in life that match who we are, what we love, and the aim of our dreams, vision, and passion.

So as I listened to these friends describe events and places that are true to them and will bring them utter enjoyment, I too was very happy. I really liked seeing my friends full of joy, and I realize that when our friends and colleagues are happy, that makes all of us happy too.

So how can we find our own sweet spots as well as help those around us find where they are most at peace, happy, engaged, and fulfilled?

For ourselves, we have to acknowledge who we are and what we crave in life. We can't judge ourselves, but instead seek out that sweetness. For me that includes writing, nature, a simple home, time, family, adventure, challenge, and so much more.

For friends and colleagues that includes adventuring with loved ones, good friends, time to develop and share their craft, expertise, and passions, and support for who they are, what they're good at, and what they want to do.

As I think of the "sweet spots" with regard to teaching and learning, I find the following places:

Math Teaching and Practice
To continue to develop my skills and abilities in this arena will bring me happiness and fulfillment. I enjoy this work and will continue to learn and develop in this arena.

Science Teaching and Labs
I also enjoy the enthusiasm and excitement that this new learning brings to students. There's lots of room for growth here too, and I will enjoy the creativity and challenge that this potential brings. I also want to build this work with our collaboration with the kindergarten class.

Writing and Storytelling
I truly enjoy writing and storytelling and will stay this course to see where it takes me over time.

Family, Friends, and Adventure
I love spending time with family and friends, and particularly enjoy new adventures with them.

A Simple, Welcoming Home
I live in a nook that abuts conservation land. It's a fairly simple home on a quiet cul-de-sac. I like the peace this place brings me and will continue to simplify with the adage, less things, more time, as my inspiration.

What places, events, and efforts lead to your sweet spot? How can colleagues and loved ones support that area of your work and living? How can you support the sweet spots of those you know and care for? That's what I'll think about today as I focus on chores and other matters.